The Joint Standing Committee have just announced they will hold an inquiry into the use of independent assessments in the NDIS.
The committee will investigate:
- The reasons for the introduction of independent assessments
- The data and the modelling that sits behind their introduction
- How assessments will be used to determine eligibility and access to the NDIS
- How assessments will be used in planning – and how they will be used to determine individual plans and budgets
- Where else in the world assessments have been used like this – and what effect they have had
- The independence, qualifications, training, expertise of assessors
- How appropriate the assessments are for people with different types of disability, and for people who come from different backgrounds – such as First Nations people with disability or people from a culturally or linguistically diverse background
- Anything else that takes the committee’s fancy.
This is good news. It means the committee has heard your concerns – and wants to dive deeper and hear more.
Source: Every Australian Counts