Limited mobility can reduce independence and mobility scooters can make performing tasks independently much easier e.g. visiting friends, or shopping locally. Using a mobility scooter will allow for exercising a greater level of independence in all situations.
Introducing the Folding Mobility Scooter
A folding mobility scooter is simply a mobility scooter that can fold up for easy storage and travelling purposes. In comparison to other mobility scooters, folding mobility scooters are lighter in weight, allowing for easy lifting and carrying. The birth of the first mobility scooter took place around 2005.
The main benefit of a folding mobility scooter:
✔️ Can easily be stored in the house, on a train, in a car boot and on aircraft and cruise liners.
✔️ Folded and pulled like a suitcase.
✔️ Easy to fold.
Two Types of a folding mobility scooter
Automatic Fold Scooter - Automatic folding mobility scooters fold with the flick of a button.
Genie Plus Travel Mobility Scooter Automatic Folding
The Ausnew Genie travel mobility scooter is a unique mobility device, designed to give the best user experience. The Genie is a fully automated electronic scooter, which easily folds and unfolds when required.
Manual Fold Scooter - Manual folding mobility scooters are simply folded into a smaller size, for easy storage and carrying.
S19 Quest Deluxe Folding Mobility travel scooter
The Ausnew Pride S19 is an ultra-lightweight folding mobility scooter. It is equipped with a Lithium Battery (Included) providing it with ultra-lightweight and a bigger range of drive. It folds up as easily as just one step.
Advantage and Disadvantages of a folding mobility scooter.
When a someone’s mobility begins to fail, many of them think that they need a scooter for mobility help. But, there are some advantages and disadvantages of scooters that you need to know about to make an informed decision.
Advantage of a folding mobility scooter
1. Scooters are very easy to transport. Many models disassemble into 4 or 5 pieces quickly and easily. This allows them to be placed in a van, truck, or even the trunk of a car so that you can take them with you. This makes them dual purpose because you can easily use them inside or outside of the home.
2. Scooters do not look like medical equipment. Unlike power chair/Wheelchair many people do not think that mobility scooters look like a medical device. They look a little more “fun” and more like an outdoor toy. I have had patients tell me that they feel less self-conscious on a scooter
3. Scooters are inexpensive to purchase. Scooters are on the lower end of the cost spectrum compared to the other mobility aids. Often times, patients will purchase a scooter on their own and not bother with insurance.
Disadvantage of a folding mobility scooter
1. Scooters can be difficult to transfer to and from. To get on a mobility scooter, the user must step up onto the base while also navigating around the handlebars. This can make them difficult to get off and on.
2. Scooters require a lot of room to turn around. Mobility scooters turn a lot like a bicycle. Because of the sg of the wheels and the handlebar (called a “tiller”), a scooter must be swung wide to make a full circle. The turning radius of many scooters is 48″ or more which means you need more a least nearly 8 feet to make a full turn.
3. Scooters do not offer much trunk support. Most scooter seats are designed to be “one-size fits all” and aren’t customizable. So, if you need a little support in your trunk to remain sitting nice and straight, a scooter is not the best choice. Some higher-end scooters do offer van style seats or high back seats as an upgrade.
Choosing the Right Scooter for You
Here are a few factor to look about when selecting a scooter.
✔️ Always be mindful of the overall weight of a folding mobility scooter.
✔️ Some lightweight scooters can weigh as much as 31.82 kgs.
✔️ Compare the scooter seat width to the width of the user’s comfortable chair at home, when choosing the best fit.
✔️ Armrests will add a safety element when the scooter is in motion.
✔️ Be sure that the measurements of the scooter you buy will fit into the storage area you have planned for it.
✔️ Take all needs into consideration, before deciding which model mobility scooter is the right one for your needs.
If you want to ask something you can ✉️ email us Ausnew Home Care Support or you may call 📞(02) 9159 6183.