Anyone who has had a lower leg injury knows that, aside from the pain and inconvenience of their injury, one other thing you will have to deal with is using crutches. However, these are not always the best solution. There is a certain piece of medical equipment that can help you get around easier when recovering from a lower leg injury: a knee walker.
Introducing Knee Walkers
Knee Walkers are a medical mobility device (sometimes called knee scooters or mobility scooters) that provide a safer, more comfortable, and easier-to-maneuver alternative to crutches for those recovering from foot or lower leg injury or surgery that requires the foot and/or leg to be non-weight bearing during recovery.
5 key benefits of a Knee Walker
Balance and Posture
Keeps You Mobile for Longer Periods
Knee walkers are a great solution when you are faced with a lower leg injury of any kind. The design of a knee walker helps you to get around while also helping you recover from a foot or ankle surgery, broken bones, sprains, or foot ulcers.
5 reasons make a knee walker a better alternative to crutches
- The position of the lower leg. With a knee walker, your leg is in a constant non-weight bearing position, which is optimal for a low strain on your leg and blood flow. With crutches, it can be a struggle to keep your injured leg bent and elevated as you move around.
- The need for upper body strength. Constant use of crutches requires a good amount of upper body strength and can lead to fatigue of your arms, shoulders, and hands. On the other hand, a knee walker requires minimal upper body strength.
- Keeping the injured leg off the ground. Without support, using crutches means you could hit your injured leg on the ground, increasing the risk of re-injury. A knee walker keeps your injured leg up and supported.
- Staying balanced. A knee walker works with your body’s natural sense of balance to keep you safe, whereas crutches require constant attention to balance and coordination.
- Use of hands. When standing still using a knee walker, you have free use of your hands. Crutches require you to hunch or continuously grip them when standing still.
When it comes down to it, a knee walker offers a more natural way to get around when compared to crutches. By allowing you to continue to use both legs for balance, muscle atrophy is reduced when compared to using crutches. A knee walker also allows you to stay naturally upright, reducing back strain.
Whether you have a long recovery ahead of you or simply need a knee walker for a short time, Ausnew Home Care is your go-to source. We offer knee walkers for purchase, so visit the knee walker product area to get the knee walker you need quickly and easily.
For further information on any of our products please email or call (02) 9159 6183 our friendly staff who are happy to help.